Alcohol is a substance that is present in form of ethanol in drinks usually produced by fermentation of sugar in different fruits such as grape in wine, malted barley in beer and apple in cider.
Alcohol has been linked with social lifestyle right from history till present age. Many alcoholics take this drink for enjoyment, mood change, cultural activities and others. There has been lot of misconceptions about this drink for example, many believe alcohol can be used to cure depression which in reality, it actually causes it.
Besides, alcohol is one of the most underrated substances being abused in the community due to lack of understanding of its grievous health consequences. It causes about 3 million deaths yearly and results in more than 200 disease and injury conditions. Alcohol is a major threat to development of a nation as it causes about 13.5% of total deaths of youths. It is most dangerous substance being abused, major cause of road accidents and has been linked to prevalence of infectious diseases like HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis etc especially in Africa. It has been reported that alcohol affects all parts of the body.
What are the effects of alcohol intake?
The following are some of the effects of alcohol intake.
- Blurred vision and speech
- Neurological disorders such as depression, aggression, mood swing, loss of concentration and memory etc
- Chronic diseases such as Liver cirrhosis, pancreatitis, stroke, diabetes
- Infertility in male and female
- Headache, nausea, vomiting
- Increase anxiety and stress
- Weaken immune system
- Dependency and addiction
- Increased risk of cancer such as pancreatic cancer
- Sleepiness, coma or even death
In order not to bore you with so much information, kindly check back tomorrow to read about harm reduction and prevention of alcohol intake. Please share with friends and family